Construction is beginning at 1 Brave Scout Trail.
Reasons why the Project Team feels that it is appropriate to build on this greenfield site:
- The Project Site is located on a piece of land that was previously used for agricultural purposes. The land has been left unused for more than 30 years, and has therefore reverted to an ecologically functioning state. As such the Project Team will make every effort to minimize impact on the land and to design the landscape to contribute to the continued ecological productivity of the site while simultaneously enhancing the housing density in this amenity-rich historic village.
- The Site is within 2km of a major train station providing access to NYC and other points along the Hudson River. This is within easy walking and/or biking distance, providing current and future owners car-free transit options for both commuting and recreational purposes.
- The Site supports a walking/biking-centric lifestyle. The local school is right across the street. There are grocery stores, shops, restaurants, and parks all within walking/biking distance. Residents can travel by foot or on bike less than a mile away to Main St, Nelsonville and Cold Spring.
- The subdivision plan legally reserves ~4 1/2 acres of the original ~10 1/2 acre lot as a “No Build Area” in perpetuity. The Project is located on ~5 acre Lot 1, of which ~1 3/4 acres is within the “No Build Area,” which translates to more than 1/3 of the total site area set aside permanently.
- The Site is within a developed area. 70% of the area within .5km of the Site is developed land, so it is not contributing to regional “sprawl”.
We are pursuing Living Building Challenge certification through the International Living Futures Institute.
Preliminary project information has been posted here: http://thefiguregroundstudio.com/tag/pretty-good-house/